1.04.2007

Preparing for a trip across the ocean, I am told that Steven Wright is leading an alignment workshop at the yoga studio. I want to stop in, but am held up by packing. I am invited to take a test drive at the Vespa dealership. With the tacit approval of the salesman I saddle up and head out across the drizzling street and toward the ocean. A last minute stop at the breakfast cereal depot leads to a bout of indecision. Passing over Frosted Wheaties and a variety of flakes, I settle on quinoa. After quick stop at the office to drop off the quinoa, during which I discover a half-shelled walnut, I'm headed across the ocean on my motorbike. On the other shore, I come upon a zebra in the tall grass. And I am given the flashback: an elephant seal swims under the breakfast cereal factory and swallows a brass toy mean for a child; it escapes the underwater gears to swim out into the open sea, only to be eaten by a large dragonfish; the dragonfish swims towards land but is ultimately defeated by the zebra, which, with the brass toy intact in its third stomach, is spotted by a hunter in the tall grass. The zebra is shot. From above I can hear a slow insistent moaning as the breath goes out.

No comments: