1.09.2007

In my shorts and boxer briefs at the high school lunch line. Since I moved away ten years ago many people are noticing me and I don't mind becuase I'm looking good. All that I get is a solid chunk of warm fish, so I go to the vegetarian line in the small amphitheater next door. After waiting for close to an hour, I give up to take a walk with my friends. When I return lunch service is over, but I pick up some fruit with the permission of the Mexicans who are closing up. Later, we drive over to the house of my old friend Nate, who I haven't seen in ten years. He is wiry, legally blind, and somewhat shy in public, perhaps because he still lives with his parents, all of which make it more surprising to learn that he has in fact become a kind of silent god on the plane of hip-hop. Without speaking he graces me with some of his knowledge, and immediately I understand why rappers like Raekwon and Naz would become anxious if he did not appear to watch over their recording studios.

No comments: