3.19.2007

When the Armies of the Air win the ground war, the resistance goes underground. Our primary strategy is to be affectionate at parties with Solo cups and soft music. Those who don't have what it takes tend to venture above ground and not return. My commander is at the bar and I am without a mission. I sit at the feet of a girl with black hair and get my scalp stroked for an hour. Then she gets up. Later I am the only one to notice that she is installing what look like lightbulbs in the windows and walls of our dugout. They are small spheres of nothing that grow very slowly into larger spheres. When pierced these spheres will unleash a thin yellow nothing into the air which will kill the resistance. She is a traitor. Searching for a way to communicate this to my commander by an act of affection, I follow the girl into the bar. She raises a pistol at my commander and fires before he can shoot himself. Then she swallows the last orb of nothing. The glow comes out her nose and eyes until her neck is a stump suspended and she crumples. The treachery went to the highest levels, we realize. And we are free to leave.

No comments: