12.14.2007

As I enter the community library, I see a light-skinned lanky black man jump down from a high shelf with a pile of books. We lock eyes for a long moment and he braces my arm as if to threaten me, then runs. The librarians comes over knowingly with the paperwork to register a legal complaint. I tell her I'm in a rush but she slowly fills out the mimeographed theft complaint in painstaking cursive as I can tell we're being watched. Finally another black man, darker and with larger eyes, who must be the accomplice and mastermind, reveals himself from behind a stack of books. He says that we've been part of an experiment, he won't say what kind. He abducts the librarian and leaves me alone in the library to discover the thief hiding behind a narrow bookshelf in the corner.

No comments: