2.10.2006

Flight. Cast as Fortinbras in a Norwegian production of Hamlet. With a dozen friends from junior high school, I enter stage left down a rickety wooden staircase into the Great Hall of Denmark for the final conquest. I have no idea what I am supposed to do, so I grab the first woman I see and pin her down, slowly dribbling saliva into her eyes. She looks back at me, defiant but subdued. As the play goes on, I learn that this woman was my cousin's fiancée, and that she had been playing Ophelia. In shame, we decide to flee in a sturdy Group Land Vehicle along the coast of Lapland. As we cling to the steep shoals of granite that wind along the sea, a black-and-yellow trawler passes us, cutting through the icy water at a speed about twice our own. As we follow a steep mountain pass inland, we see men hanging from the electrical wires along the road, insulated in rubbery black-and-yellow winged bodysuits which clearly do not admit of flight.

No comments: